Presents:

BDSM Discussion  43

Consent In BDSM

All Comments Posted Here With Permission Of The Participants

My Thanks to Soul Of Darkness for continuing the discussion when I had to leave. Thanks!! <raven>

<raven{Az}> let's start with this: How important is consent to a bdsm relationship?
<SoulOfDarkness> yes somomma?
<raven{Az}> ok somomma..ask away :)
<somomma> where is the website?
<raven{Az}> http://www.leatherNroses.com
<somomma> thank you..sorry for interrupting
<raven{Az}> no problemo at all somomma :)
<SoulOfDarkness> consent is the cornerstone of bdsm.... it's what differentiates much of what we do from abuse
<raven{Az}> How does it do that?
<Blood|ord> *singing*
<SoulOfDarkness> there is a high degree of similarity between abusive relationships and d/s relationships, in the control issues, for example, or the coercion and manipulation of the will of the submissive partner
<{sonja}JP> same way consent differentiates sex from rape?
<SoulOfDarkness> without consent, it would be abuse
<AAhhzz> By the convention of consent both parties are stating that they wish to preform these acts with each other.......without consent your just abusing someone........
<somomma> but i have moments...hmm..well, when i am not sure i have the capacity to give consent..no..sense it..that make sense?
<SoulOfDarkness> you mean that at times you cannot consent because of the dominance of your partner?
<SoulOfDarkness> I am assuming you are submissive somomma, if that's incorrect I'm sorry
<somomma> well yes...because i have been taken to a place within...kinda floating there
<somomma> yes Eric..i am
<raven{Az}> yes..that makes sense somomma..
<SoulOfDarkness> well, my answer would be that consent is not a second by second thing
<raven{Az}> so...my next question then is...when is consent given? at time the relationship begins, prior to any scene, or a bit of both ?
<somomma> so i depend on the Dom/me sort of....know what i mean?
<SoulOfDarkness> <grins> yep
<{sonja}JP> that depends on the people involved 
* AAhhzz settles back and watches while his cable modem server is having a stroke
<{sonja}JP> lol
<raven{Az}> yup sommoma :)
<somomma> i think it is given always...after communicating..knowing each other..limits
<raven{Az}> For me, it's mostly blanket consent given at time of accepting a collar..with the known possibility that other issues of consent may come up, such as wanting to use a new implement that I am afraid of..
* AAhhzz nods...1Yeah when you kind of floating somomma you have to trust in them.........LOL....its a bit late to tell them you dont want to do this.,........
<somomma> smiling.....nodding lots
<SoulOfDarkness> about long term consent .... there are plenty of situations out there where people give consent to the unkown that we don't consider wrong or abusive
<raven{Az}> darn..so you mean I can't withdraw consent when I'm in sub space?
<raven{Az}> true as well Eric.. :)
<somomma> grins...not liking to not have sub space
<raven{Az}> it's different to undergo painplay without sub space..but it can be quite enjoyable as well..
<SoulOfDarkness> the military, for example, you join and consent to what the military wants for a period of years, and you are not allowed to withdraw that consent
<raven{Az}> true Eric
<AAhhzz> I would think a bit of both raven.......like For example......A couple has a relationship......the submissive has given a blanket consent.....but that does not mena that communication has to cease on the subject of consent.....I know I would certainly talk about a new thing before trying it out......
<somomma> maybe i should be in the military....playful smile
<SoulOfDarkness> in my relationship Kristy cannot simply withdraw her consent to the relationship, I have to concur
<SoulOfDarkness> lol@somomma, I was for 11 years
<Blood|ord> *restless*
*** raven{Az} is now known as ravn^Ron
<ravn^Ron> Ron is having trouble with @home.com freezing..so he's coming to sit by my computer and I will type for both of us..
<somomma> i like the knowledge of knowing i can depend on one to 'know' my limits and draw them to discussion
<ravn^Ron> I can understand that Eric..
* {sonja}JP has a similar consent agreement.........i consented to ........... His decisions?
* {sonja}JP is not sure how to word that
<ravn^Ron> Is it possible to give consent too son?
<ravn^Ron> soon even
<SoulOfDarkness> of course it is.... giving consent to the unknown is okay, as long as the nature of the person you are granting that consent to is known
<SoulOfDarkness> and you can't know the nature of the person after 2 hours in a chat room
<ravn^Ron> why?
<somomma> whenever i did i regretted it
<ravn^Ron> true :)
<ravn^Ron> raven: Ron, isn't communicating about something different from asking for consent?
<SoulOfDarkness> example.... Kristy consented (accepted my terms for a relationship) after roughly 3 weeks of talking/knowing each other. She didn't know everythign I might want of her, but she did know what my character was
* {sonja}JP thinks it is that communication that makes blanket consent possible.........
<ravn^Ron> Ron: yeah, communication is a bit different, but if I learned that something were a hard limit for my partner, I wouldn't go ahead with it...
<somomma> agrees with sonja
<ravn^Ron> wouldn't limits hard/soft be discussed before  consent for the relationship were given?
<ravn^Ron> Ron: new things always come up..
<SoulOfDarkness> some of them were raven, but not all
<{sonja}JP> knowing that someone will discuss things with you - and cares about you enough to take your feelings into consideration - is what makes blanket consent possible
<ravn^Ron> I can understand that Eric..
<SoulOfDarkness> and many new things have come up in the 3 years since then
<ravn^Ron> raven: good point Ron
<ravn^Ron> Ron: good point sonja
<ravn^Ron> Ron turnsinto a parrot and sits beside the raven..."nevermore?"
<ravn^Ron> ok..that was dumb..
<ravn^Ron> sorry
<ravn^Ron> I can agree with that sonja..
<somomma> when i am communicated to i feel safe and leads to consent
<morrigan> not god
<morrigan> not good even
<{sonja}JP> Master and i tried to discuss everything way back when - then discovered the list was WAAAAAAAAAAY too long and yet not complete
<morrigan> oops sorry.
<ravn^Ron> however, in a relationship where the sub sets no limits on play except those that are a match for their dom/me...could hard limits be discovered later?
<SoulOfDarkness> okay.... but suppose we are talking consent to an absolute relationship? In an absolute (or complete) relationship I am not even obligated to communicate if I don't want to
<ravn^Ron> makes sense sonja
<ravn^Ron> I understand that somomma..
<ravn^Ron> Ron: you might not be obligated Eric, but it certainly wouldn't be as fulfilling of a relationship for either of you..
<SoulOfDarkness> why?
<{sonja}JP> not obligated in the sense of definitions.........but why would you want to do something without knowing what you were doing, in all senses of Knowing?
<SoulOfDarkness> it might perfectly fulfilling to me
<ravn^Ron> raven: I think that would depend on the needs of the people involved Eric..I for one, need communication for any relationship to exist..
<ravn^Ron> Ron: because there wouldn't be the emotional bond..
<somomma> i'd like to raise the point that often male submissives are deemed to be able to withstand more....never understood that...so they are communicated to less
<SoulOfDarkness> why Ron?
<ravn^Ron> Ron: emotional/mental stimulation
<ravn^Ron> sorry..my bad..
<ravn^Ron> Ron: True we are talking about you Eric, I just know that *I* need it for my own fulfillment/enjoyment..to be able to talk/discuss/learn and such
<SoulOfDarkness> <laughs> somomma, the couple of male submissives I have scened with were not nearly as heavy a masochists as my normal female partners, I don't take that for granted
* Eric^ winks at Ron.... I'm playing devil's advocate, challenging accepted notions, pay no attention if you don't want to
<somomma> nods and smiles to Eric
<ravn^Ron> possibly somomma that exists because of the general consensus that men (in general now!) don't communicate about their emotions/thoughts as openly and frequently as women do..
* {sonja}JP has never thought of that before somomma - but it makes a lot of sense
<ravn^Ron> raven giggles..
<ravn^Ron> Ron: I saw your horns Eric..you've always been a horny little bugger anyway..LOL <JOKE>
<somomma> smiles...well a few of us males need that communication..i know i do
<ravn^Ron> raven wonders if she should move out of the way so when Eric dives for Ron's throat, she doesn't get trampled in the process
<ravn^Ron> Ron nods to somomma
<ravn^Ron> true somomma..and personally, I like the ones that do :)
<{sonja}JP> room full of HNGs????
<ravn^Ron> raven: OK..as to why communication would be neccessary to bring about fulfillment..
<ravn^Ron> first: if one doesn't communicate their desires in regards to the sub's behavior/tasks/responsibilities..the sub can't fulfill them..thus, the dom will not be happy in the relationship..
<debunny> hello A/all
<EZRiser> needs understood .. or at least expressed .. aint that the best thing about communication
* debunny curtseys in the doorway
<ravn^Ron> so some level of communication is neccssary, in even the most strictly service based relationship..
<{sonja}JP> HI sub
<ravn^Ron> Hi dancer!! :)
<{sonja}JP> hi deb
<ravn^Ron> Hi debunny 
<{sonja}JP> subdancer even
<EZRiser> evenin' subdancer .. debunny
<SoulOfDarkness> lol@Ron
<SoulOfDarkness> hi subdancer and debunny
<ravn^Ron> Ron: communication is neccessary because people do change over time..new needs, new desires, new limits might arise..
<fairys_ki> hello subdancer and debunny
<ravn^Ron> Ron: for example something that was not a limit before, becomes one, and something that was, isn't a limit anymore..
<ravn^Ron> raven thinks of canes and body peircings..
<ravn^Ron> yeah..that I can udnerstand.. LOL
<SoulOfDarkness> Ron: what if the relationship is absolute in nature, and those changes are of no concern to the owner?
<somomma> yes, i hate chasing to try and please...i prefer to know the expectations
<subdancer> sorry distracted hello A/all
<ravn^Ron> raven: wouldn't they be of concern to the owner in that if the changes are not at least expressed, the slave can't serve to their full potential?
<ravn^Ron> I agree somomma
<SoulOfDarkness> to me raven, yes. But I'm speaking hypothetically
* debunny waves from the prairies,,, can a cc-cc-cold canadian bunny hop in?
<ravn^Ron> Ron: EVen if it is absolute in nature, I would think that the master/mistress would wantto keep an eye on their slave's mental/emotional well being..if for nothing else but to keep their property in good service working order..
<SoulOfDarkness> then it seems to me, in that scenario, the key is the original consent, not the communication process
<ravn^Ron> I know Eric..was just giving my thoughts is all..not upset or nuffin :)
<somomma> hello debunny and subdancer
<ravn^Ron> In the issue of play limits, yes..it could go back to original consent..but is anything ever that simple when it comes to relationships between people?
<ravn^Ron> Ron: yes debunny, welcome, come in and sit down...
<SoulOfDarkness> I'm not talking about specifically play limits
<SoulOfDarkness> play limits are the easiest to define, but s/m play is not a d/s relationship
<ravn^Ron> OK..then I'm confuzzled..(not surprising)..how can it all go back to the original consent?
<somomma> how is D/s not sm?
<ravn^Ron> I don't see how giving blanket consent automatically means that the sub/slave will not require any input from time to time, or that once the dom has the consent in hand, he/she would not want to check on how the slave's mental/emotional well being is doing..
<SoulOfDarkness> dominance and submission is distinct from sado-masochism. They can be interrelated, but are not the same thing
<ravn^Ron> d/s is a relationship based on power exchange..s/m is the giving and receiving of pain for physical pleasure..
<ravn^Ron> a power exchange can exist without pain play..
<somomma> but when i consent to s/m is that not power exchanging?
<SoulOfDarkness> it can be somomma, but isn't necessarily
<ravn^Ron> in some people's mind it is bottoming, not participating in a d/s relationship..
<SoulOfDarkness> it depends upon the scenario
<ravn^Ron> in other people's minds..it is engaging in a complete power exchange..
<ravn^Ron> gotta love diversity...since you can't shoot it :)
<ravn^Ron> I'm sorry all..but I am exhausted..
<ravn^Ron> Eric, will you take the discussion from here for me please?
<SoulOfDarkness> sure thing raven
<ravn^Ron> thanks Eric..I appreciate it :)
<SoulOfDarkness> okay.... anyhow, if you have constant communication, do you have to have prior consent at all?
<somomma> yes..there can be miscommunication
* {sonja}JP thinks often that initial consent sort of just flows between the right people........not always formalized words
<SoulOfDarkness> so, if you miscommunicate, think one thing, he thinks another, he crosses a limit, it's okay cause you consented two years ago to be his property?
<somomma> smiles...hmm...thinking on that
<{sonja}JP> well - yeah - its "ok" but it may still cause hte end of the relationship
<somomma> but can't a submissives needs change as we said, go back and forth?
<SoulOfDarkness> yes, but, if the submissive's needs change, is there a mechanism to change the consent?
<somomma> thinking by the time i figure it out to consent i am in subspace....grin
<SoulOfDarkness> or what if the dominant's needs change... does he/she just have to not do anything about it cause the sub never consented to the new need?
<SoulOfDarkness> lol@somomma
* {sonja}JP wonders if that is truly possible
<somomma> good points Eric...i think then a submissive needs to communicate often
<{sonja}JP> can your needs change so drastically that a change/adjustment to consent would be necessary - or would it be something that you simply didnt communicate properly to begin with?
<SoulOfDarkness> yes.... two years into the relationship Kristy and I added polyamory... this required, in my mind, a formal change in consent. It was a drastic change
<somomma> sometimes the desire to please causes me to go with the flow in trust....knowing i am protected...to push...if that makes sense...to please
<SoulOfDarkness> so, you trust the character of your dominant partner, and trust them to keep you safe, and go past limits you might otherwise not agree to?
<{sonja}JP> but - was this something that you never knew about yourself?
<{sonja}JP> or something you were knew but supressed?
<somomma> yes i do Eric...that to me is the point...
<SoulOfDarkness> sonja, it was something I knew and had decided to ... turn off. And it was not just my choice either
<somomma> looking down..well...i depend on that...
* {sonja}JP understands that quite well
<SoulOfDarkness> so, somomma, you are saying that you actually are granting consent to the character of the dominant?
* {sonja}JP thinks that makes a lot of sense right there.........
<{sonja}JP> consent to the character of the dom
* {sonja}JP likes that
<somomma> yes i am...character meaning i know them to protect me....they realize my limits...and well..
<somomma> so i really submit based on that....think of it the other way..if i was constantly in doubt...i would think, not feel..doubt not trust...so i depend on them
<SoulOfDarkness> character meaning that they are honorable, trustworthy people? They may do things you don't like, but they ain't gonna actually chop something off and feed it to the fish
<{sonja}JP> actually - i was thinking character in that their character matched what you wanted........
<somomma> nodding....yes...like that Eric....pushing me to where they choose for me and them...for us together....wondering if this makes sense
<SoulOfDarkness> I get what you are saying somomma
<{sonja}JP> yanno - there may actually be someone looking for someone to "chop something off" in a manner of speaking 
<somomma> *cannot visualize being with a dominant i do not trust....that leads to abuse
<SoulOfDarkness> okay, so we have dealt with long term relationship type consent, and I seem to be hearing that you consent based on the character of the dominant, not the actual expressed limits?
<{sonja}JP> someone YOU trust - doesnt necessarily mean they are "trustworthy"
<{sonja}JP> not disparaging you - somomma - just saying that it is an individual thing
<somomma> true...character leads to more communication
<SoulOfDarkness> so, different angle
<somomma> then the issue becomes one of what trust does it take to consent
<SoulOfDarkness> how do you handle consent in a casual scene encounter? Let's say you are at a bdsm auction, and you are auctioned off to someone you don't know well?
<SoulOfDarkness> how is consent handled, can it change minute to minute?
<SoulOfDarkness> night fairys
<subdancer> i serve the person as Sir commands
<somomma> i would not go to an auction alone...
<SoulOfDarkness> so, in your scenario dancer, consent is handled through your dominant?
* {sonja}JP would probably not go to an auction if there were people bidding that i didnt know
<subdancer> yes 
<SoulOfDarkness> curiousity... why not? it's public. There are dungeon monitors. it's unlikely you will actually be hurt
<{sonja}JP> just.........not.....my thing i guess
<subdancer> if i went to one Sir would be present i think
<{sonja}JP> and i work differently on the scening thing
<SoulOfDarkness> okay... but what I'm trying to get at is... how do you handle consent in a casual scene with someone you have just met.... not for you specifically, but in general
* {sonja}JP needs to be aroused and then ENJOYS the pain.............cant usually be aroused by someone i dont know :)
* Eric^ beats his head on the wall :)
<subdancer> that is hard i guess, i do not do casual scenes as a norm
<{sonja}JP> sorry - i was typing at the same time you were
<SoulOfDarkness> generally speaking I don't either.... I scene with some regular partners, on a "friendly" basis, but it's not casual, like a pick up type thing
* {sonja}JP thinks short term casual scenes should be very specific and consent should be given to each specific.........
<SoulOfDarkness> On occassion I do bdsm auctions, and have ended up topping someone I met for the first time that night
<{sonja}JP> but that is me...
<subdancer> as i handled it in the past well, i met with whoever W/we talked if i played He had full control
<SoulOfDarkness> I tried to do it that way sonja, and the bottom in question said... "I'm a heavy masochist, and I want you to take control"... so I did
<{sonja}JP> which is consent in itself
<SoulOfDarkness> this presented a dilemna though, because I didn't know her well enough to be certain of what her reactions might be
<{sonja}JP> with a heavy masochist........ok.........take someone like me - and i would want to pick and chose among your bag of goodies........
<SoulOfDarkness> lol@sonja
* {sonja}JP would throw away ALL the leeches..........
* {sonja}JP giggles
<SoulOfDarkness> I don't normally do that... normally my idea of consent is... here's what I have in my bag, yes or no
<{sonja}JP> ruh roh - server split
<SoulOfDarkness> yep
<subdancer> <--looks at floor wide eyed-pick and choose among the goodies, what a concept
* {sonja}JP understands that - which is why i prolly wouldnt play :) but i would LOVE to peek
<SoulOfDarkness> but, dancer, that is the normal way it is done between tops and bottoms
<{sonja}JP> Eric is a bit further along the sadist line than i am comfortable with
<SoulOfDarkness> the bottom states limits, the top agrees.... they negotiate how the scene will go
<SoulOfDarkness> just a bit sonja? 
<subdancer> in all cases in my life He lined the goodies up and He picked and choose
<{sonja}JP> hi JakBird
<{sonja}JP> just a bit Eric
<SoulOfDarkness> hi JakBird, we are having a discussion night, the topic is consent in bdsm
<SoulOfDarkness> I'm your friendly facilitator, feel free to join in at any time
<JakBird> so i see
<{sonja}JP> that is how it works with me and my Master subdancer.......i was referring to how it would work with me and a "play" partner (really hates that term)
<SoulOfDarkness> how about scene partner? I prefer that personally
<{sonja}JP> 's better
* {sonja}JP wasnt thinking
<subdancer> Eric^- if i choose to walk into a situation with a Dom, it is full consent, i guess that is where i stand
<JakBird> consent has a place at the start of a relationship, but i feel it should be a goal to make consent irrelevant as it progresses
<SoulOfDarkness> hmmmmm, we had pretty well reached the consensus earlier that consent in a long term relationship was more about trusting the character of your partner, rather than consent to specific limits
<SoulOfDarkness> I'm trying to get sonja to consent to my leeches and needles now
<SoulOfDarkness> :)
* {sonja}JP backs away slowly
<{sonja}JP> keeping her eyes on Erics hands and that bag
<SoulOfDarkness> so, JakBird, how about a one time scene with someone, how does consent work?
<subdancer> in my situations i had no say over what is done, leeches and needles i could whine all i want TOO BAD
<JakBird> no idea, i only deal in the long term aspects
<SoulOfDarkness> okay, let's take your statement .... it should be a goal to make consent irrelevant as it progresses .... care to explain that?
<JakBird> my interest is solely in m-s type relationship, one where consent fades away and isn't an issue
<SoulOfDarkness> anyhow..... how does "consent fade away"?
<subdancer> JakBird-a blanket consent from the first second the collar goes on
<JakBird> behavior modification, trust, conditioning, habit
<JakBird> no subdancer, those are only words, it has to become a mindset, the inability to envision anything but acceptance
* Eric^ is listening
<JakBird> that does not happen in an instant
<subdancer> for some that mindset comes that fast
<{sonja}JP> again - it depends on the people involved.
<JakBird> oh i have no doubt the devotion is there, but i refer to something else
<{sonja}JP> sometimes it happens that fast - but they really dont realize it
<JakBird> the mind cannot travel down the pah of doubt, those roads become closed
<subdancer> please explain that something else?
* Eric^ prefers control to such a degree that you can doubt, dislike, etc all you want, you cannot change your will from the path I set in front of you.... but that is way off the topic of consent
<JakBird> obedience becomes an unbreakable habit, like breathing
<subdancer> the path of doubt come with the idea of a choice
<JakBird> there is no way to not follow
<SoulOfDarkness> do you explain these things up front Jak? do you expect consent to following this path? And what if at some later point the submissive doesn't consent to that path anymore
<JakBird> of course, i have ethics
<subdancer> if you do not have a choice there is little doubt
<JakBird> and if it doesnt happen, then it is not meant to be
<SoulOfDarkness> so, you are saying that if she withdrew her consent you would let her go?
<SoulOfDarkness> release her?
<JakBird> of course
<SoulOfDarkness> mmmm
<subdancer> consent is the mindset for some
<JakBird> but then its a failure, because a condition occurred which should not
<SoulOfDarkness> what condition?
<JakBird> the ability to withdraw consent is implicit failure if the goal is to remove that choice in the first place
<SoulOfDarkness> wouldn't it boring to have a scenario where there was no more challenge to overcome? where you didn't have to enforce your will on your partner?
<JakBird> lol, i see it quite differently
* Eric^ is curious really.... I like the challenge of dominating... of coercing my partner to do my will
<JakBird> for one, there is no"enforcing", it becomes a de facto backdrop to the relationship
<SoulOfDarkness> other thoughts on consent?
<subdancer> so Eric Sir does this mean You enjoy a brat slave?
<SoulOfDarkness> no.... not at all
* {sonja}JP just wants the previous thought to go down in history
<SoulOfDarkness> which thought sonja?
<{sonja}JP> consent to a character - not an event........i really like that
<SoulOfDarkness> brat slave implies disobedience to achieve a certain response from the dominant
<{sonja}JP> Eric enjoys the struggle over a strong mature mind
<subdancer> Eric Sir, what i mean is a slave who has a will to say nope every so often
<SoulOfDarkness> I like the scenario of coercing you to do something you do not want to do because I want you to do it
* {sonja}JP thinks that is why he keeps talking to me..............LOL - just kidding :)
<SoulOfDarkness> I prefer my sub/slave/servant/property/girl (choose the word you like) have a mind of her own, a strong will and need to be bent to my will
<SoulOfDarkness> lol@sonja
* Eric^ declares the formal discussion of consent in bdsm over with.... We learned that most of us consider consent to character to be of prime importance

Back To Logs 2000 Email

LnR Toy Store

Site Map

To hear of changes to the web site, or events taking place in the chat room, enter your e-mail address and click on the button below to join the LnRannounce mailing list. This is an announcement list only and is of very low volume. Or if you prefer, e-mail Raven (ravenshad@knology.net ) to be added to the list, be sure to include your e-mail address and the name of the list within the e-mail.

Subscribe to LnRannounce