Presents:

BDSM Discussion  7

Negotiation In BDSM

All Comments Posted Here With Permission Of The Participants

[20:12] * ravenshad says Hello and welcome to leather and roses' weekly discussions on BDSM the following rules apply.. 
[20:12] <ravenshad> you must be of legal age to participate, if you are not, please leave 
[20:12] <ravenshad> legal age being at least 18.. 
[20:12] <ravenshad> no trolling will be tolerated, this is not a singles night, it is a discussion night 
[20:12] <ravenshad> trolling is advertising for a partner..or harrasing someone in the channel into being your partner be it r/l or cybersex 
[20:12] <ravenshad> be polite when speaking and do not flame anyone. You can disagree with an idea, but do not attack the person making the idea. Flamers, will be kicked 
[20:13] <ravenshad> all statements are publishable on the web site, with nicks changed (at your request, email webmaster@leathernroses.com if you don't want your nick used. 
[20:13] <ravenshad> if I receive no email, I will assume that all nicks may remain as shown in the logs, by not sending email, you are authorizing my use of the logs on my web site.. 
[20:13] <ravenshad> Tonight's topic is Negotiation in a BDSM relationship... 
[20:14] <ravenshad> This discussion will be run the same way the last few were, that being, people can toss out questions, and everyone may offer their response..discussion is always welcome.. :) 
[20:14] <ravenshad> What is negotiation? 
[20:16] <lil`dragn> talking about experience...limits...things like that 
[20:17] <BugsAFK> it means discussing expectation 
[20:17] <slavekat> also what would be expected of you as sub or slave 
[20:17] <fae{NR}> negotiation is talking about things that you will and will not do before getting close to doing them... 
[20:17] <AlstrBlck> or a Master or Mistress, slavekat. 
[20:17] <fae{NR}> when both people are thinking clearly (not in passion) 
[20:17] <NoirRose> And discussing habits, behaviors... 
[20:17] <ravenshad> just expectation Bugs? what about kink compatability? 
[20:17] <slavekat> true AlstrBlck 
[20:17] * ravenshad nods.. 
[20:22] <ravenshad> OK..so what things should people remember to discuss that may be forgotten during negotiations? 
[20:22] <NoirRose> Definitions of terms 
[20:22] <ravenshad> definately NR..and why discuss terms? 
[20:22] <lil`dragn> also....not something that can be done in one sitdown type discution.....may take many to cover everyting 
[20:23] <ravenshad> true dragn :) 
[20:23] <NoirRose> Because if you don't misunderstandings are a real good way to kill a relationship 
[20:23] <fae{NR}> also have to discuss levels and comfort zones on what to do 
[20:23] <ravenshad> very true.. :) 
[20:23] <ravenshad> When should negotiations take place? 
[20:24] <fae{NR}> negotiations should take place constantly 
[20:24] <slavekat> immediately 
[20:24] * NoirRose agrees with fae 
[20:24] <ravenshad> I say it should take place before the relationship moves into a comitted one, before any play takes place..and often as the relationship continues 
[20:24] <fae{NR}> i say constantly from the beginning of the relationship because often times, during the course of a relationship, both people may change 
[20:24] <ravenshad> true fae.. 
[20:25] * fae{NR} agrees w/ raven in that definately before any play happens * 
[20:25] <subdancer> but it is so much fun to have it yanked out by a Dom 
[20:25] <ravenshad> yanked out dancer? 
[20:25] <fae{NR}> have what yanked out dancer? 
[20:26] <fae{NR}> okay...so can negotiation take place _during_ play? 
[20:26] <lil`dragn> but what if change goes in different direction on both parts??? do you try to work it out or depart as friends....or just take what you can get??? 
[20:26] <slavekat> during "play" is the worse time to negotiate 
[20:27] <subdancer> okay but does anyone find it a thrill to have the Domme yanked out of them by another Dominant 
[20:27] <NoirRose> No.  
[20:27] <slavekat> not at all 
[20:28] <fae{NR}> as for dragn's question on if ppl change in different directions....i feel that it is something that should be discussed in depth... 
[20:29] <subdancer> made to turn from a Dominant state and submit to another Dominate 
[20:29] <fae{NR}> in some situations it'd be better to part as friends, in others to try and work it out, and in yet others to do a part time play relationship or non-play relationship, depending onthe situation 
[20:29] <NoirRose> That one would really have to depend on the Dom in question. 
[20:29] <ravenshad> I say try to work it out..or part as friends..but it would depend upon what the difference was.. 
[20:30] <fae{NR}> dancer, i would tend to say no, if a person is a Dominant, more often than not, they would get no satisfaction or fulfilment from being forced into submission 
[20:30] <NoirRose> If you're not a switch, I would have to say that you probably wouldn't like that... 
[20:30] * NoirRose knows that she would react quite violently. 
[20:30] <ravenshad> I wouldn't like that dancer..I am not a switch.. 
[20:31] <NoirRose> I'm not a switch either. 
[20:31] <ravenshad> during negotiation I have found that many things often do not get discussed that should..what are some ways to prevent that from happening? 
[20:31] <subdancer> well i mean when i get demanding 
[20:31] <ravenshad> oh..if I get demanding..my ass gets red..<giggle> 
[20:31] <fae{NR}> raven, i'd try (especially in the beginning) to talk about what may happen in play before play begins 
[20:31] <lil`dragn> learn from previous negotiations....write down what was missed last time.... 
[20:32] <fae{NR}> to some, this may take some of the "fun" surprises out, but until both know each other well, it's probably best for the relationship 
[20:32] <ravenshad> what about expectations for the future?  
[20:32] <lil`dragn> but sometimes....specially with a newbie.....cant talk about what might happen because it is unknown 
[20:32] <ravenshad> true dragn..but wouldn't a hypothetical discussion still be helpful? 
[20:33] <subdancer> comunication should be a demand at all times 
[20:33] <ravenshad> Do you find play lists helpful or a hindrance? 
[20:33] <lil`dragn> possibly...but there maybe things in one's past that have been forgotten and might come out during 
[20:33] <fae{NR}> dancer, i wouldn't use the term demanded, but necessary instead 
[20:34] <lil`dragn> but when something unexpected happens during play....that is the time to stop and talk isn't it??? 
[20:34] <fae{NR}> raven, depends, what kind of playlists are you talking about? 
[20:34] <ravenshad> depends on the situation..the participants may need time to calm down before talking.. 
[20:34] <slavekat> that would depend entirely on the relationship i would think 
[20:34] <ravenshad> those that list things like "flogging, spanking, bondage"..kink stuff 
[20:34] <subdancer> if you do not know what you will do if you try a certain kink then explaining what you feel inside when it is brought up gives an idea of what may happen 
[20:34] <ravenshad> good point dancer!! 
[20:35] <Mongoose> ravenshad: I don't have a no.2 
[20:35] <NoirRose> Also, explaining how you might react to something going wrong... 
[20:35] <fae{NR}> okay, if something does go wrong in play, how do you go about calming both down and when/how do you talk about it? 
[20:35] <ravenshad> for example, someone has never been caned, yet when they hear a description of a caning, they have an emotional response inside..telling what that is can often help figure out what might happen if the caning acutally took place.. 
[20:35] <subdancer> sometimes you can't talk about it 
[20:36] <ravenshad> Depends on what went wrong..if the sub is zoned, he/she has to be brought back first..if in a panic, must be calmed first.. 
[20:36] <slavekat> sometimes you just don't know what your feeling 
[20:36] <ravenshad> true kat..true 
[20:36] <NoirRose> How about if something goes wrong with the Dom? 
[20:36] <subdancer> or cough dead 
[20:36] <lil`dragn> what if you can't find the words...and have to think about it a bit before talking about it??? 
[20:36] <ravenshad> oh man...that's a good one NR.. 
[20:37] <slavekat> then i freak out ~smile~ 
[20:37] <ravenshad> hence the time out to calm down dragn..when a scene goes wrong, it should be discussed more than once..the effects would be diverse I think 
[20:37] <NoirRose> And what does the sub do if the Dom freaks out while they're tied up? 
[20:37] <ravenshad> hopefully, the sub is able to release themselves.. 
[20:37] * ejaustin picks a quiet corner 
[20:37] <ravenshad> I would guess, if the sub couldn't, they would unfortunately have to wait it out.. 
[20:38] <fae{NR}> or hopefully the sub will be able to talk the Dom/me calm enough to untie him/her 
[20:38] <ravenshad> good point fae! 
[20:38] <ravenshad> though I think I would freak  
[20:38] <subdancer> get to know your Dom and learn to talk to Him in a calming way 
[20:38] <slavekat> i know i would freak, i would not have a clue what to do 
[20:38] <lil`dragn> couldn't that turn the sub away from the lifestyle?? and possibly make it to where they couldn't be who they were ment to be???? 
[20:39] <ravenshad> yes it could dragn.. 
[20:39] <ravenshad> is it important to discuss one's physical health in detail during negotiations? 
[20:39] <fae{NR}> raven, definately 
[20:39] <subdancer> so true 
[20:39] <NoirRose> Definatly 
[20:39] <fae{NR}> add to that psychological health as well...both should know if their partner(s) have any phobias and such 
[20:40] <lil`dragn> almost have too....because with the unknown...no matter what it is...can be deadly 
[20:40] <ravenshad> yes...or past trauma 
[20:40] <ravenshad> what if your health changes while the relationship is new, should your partner be forewarned? 
[20:40] <slavekat> definately raven 
[20:40] <ravenshad> Also, if you have triggers that you know exist..you should inform your partner of those triggers.. 
[20:40] <fae{NR}> if health changes at any time during the relationship, it should be made known 
[20:40] <slavekat> oh yes, i think the state of health of either party is an extremely important issue 
[20:40] * NoirRose nods 
[20:41] <lil`dragn> health...physical and mental...should be a constant concern on both parts 
[20:41] <ravenshad> Is it important to not exagerate or downplay your experience or expectations? 
[20:41] <fae{NR}> and spiritual health as well for people who follow various religions, is very important 
[20:41] <ravenshad> yes..true fae :) 
[20:42] <fae{NR}> expectations shouldn't be either exagerated or downplayed...experience shouldn't be exagerated, but I don't think much harm would come about if experience is downplayed 
[20:42] <lil`dragn> but what if you don't have a "spiritual" guidens....or path....for lack of better workds 
[20:42] <lil`dragn> words 
[20:43] <fae{NR}> dragn, that's why i said for people of various religions and not everyone 
[20:43] <slavekat> is that an area your Dom will guide you in ??? 
[20:43] <lil`dragn> is that considered and unhealthy speriatal health?? 
[20:43] <NoirRose> That would depend on the person 
[20:43] <fae{NR}> in a lot of play, there can be a lot of symbolic religion, including Judeo-Christian 
[20:44] <slavekat> ok, in a "play" situation yes, but what about lifestyle 
[20:45] <fae{NR}> lifestyle, both partners should respect each other's religions, and if they're incompatible then they need to either work that out or seriously reconsider the relationship 
[20:45] <_mizu_> that is true fae 
[20:45] <fae{NR}> i feel strongly that the sub (in most cases) should not have to give up their religion to please the Dom/me 
[20:46] <slavekat> well, thats a negotiation point isnt it 
[20:46] <fae{NR}> true slavekat, very true 
[20:46] <slavekat> in a M/s situation that may very well be at issue 
[20:46] <fae{NR}> and in some instances, the contrary to what i say may indeed be what happens 
[20:46] <ravenshad> that I have to agree with fae..but I also think that a dominant who knew what they were doing wouldn't force the sub to give up something as important to them as religion 
[20:46] <ravenshad> it could be kat 
[20:47] <ravenshad> how does negotiation differ in a m/s relationship than a d/s one? 
[20:47] <fae{NR}> i fell into the trap of saying what i believe should be and apologise for that...so ammend mine to "my view is..." 
[20:47] <slavekat> i feel that in an M/s situation it is more that the Master lays out what is expected and the slave decides can i live this 
[20:47] <ravenshad> sounds accurate to me kat.. 
[20:48] <slavekat> well, its pretty warm in my head right now ~smile~ 
[20:48] <ravenshad> should a person ever accept the conditions of a M/s relationship if they have any doubt what so ever..or do so thinking "I can get him/her to change" ?? 
[20:48] <fae{NR}> okay, what if further in the relationship, the Master decides on something else and the slave decides they can't live with it? 
[20:48] <slavekat> never accept 
[20:48] <slavekat> if you arn't sure don't bare your neck 
[20:48] <ravenshad> then they have to discuss release fae..or the slave has to learn to live with it.. 
[20:49] <ravenshad> is there any negotiation with a m/s relationship? 
[20:49] <slavekat> that is coming down to a personal definition of what a slave and Master is 
[20:49] <ravenshad> everything comes down to that kind of thing kat.. :) 
[20:49] <slavekat> no negotation 
[20:49] <slavekat> not in M/s 
[20:49] <ravenshad> actually, there is kat.. 
[20:49] <slavekat> true raven 
[20:49] <ravenshad> it just isn't called negotiation.. :) 
[20:49] <ravenshad> they call it "getting to know each other" 
[20:49] * ravenshad giggles 
[20:49] <slavekat> ahhh, 
[20:49] <slavekat> hmmm 
[20:50] <slavekat> those words sound familiar for some reason ~giggle~ 
[20:50] <ravenshad> but it comes down to both parties, stating what they are capable of or expecting..and then deciding if they can achieve that with the other person.. 
[20:50] <slavekat> true 
[20:52] <ravenshad> if one is negotiating for a 24/7..what are some things that should be discussed that are often overlooked? 
[20:52] <NoirRose> What happens if either of the people get tired of dealing with 24/7 d/s... 
[20:52] <_mizu_> who moves where, and exactly what is to be done 
[20:52] <BugsAFK> basic day to day things... cooking, cleaning laundry, etc/ 
[20:53] <ravenshad> money 
[20:53] <ravenshad> kids 
[20:53] <ravenshad> responsibilities.. 
[20:53] <ravenshad> then it must be discussed..and honestly decided whether to stop the d/s ..or seperate.. 
[20:53] <ravenshad> jobs 
[20:54] <subdancer> sort of like the *D* word 
[20:54] <ravenshad> yeah...sort of 
[20:54] <ravenshad> I think one thing that needs to be discussed during negotiation is how important is the power exchange to each participant..and what would be done in the case one calls for a cease to the d/s 
[20:56] <ntalia> i don't know that you can necessarily figure that out. when you talk about longterm, committed relationships - there are circumstances that cause things to change either temporarily or permanently. 
[20:56] <ntalia> if someone's health situation changed, the power exchange might of necessity change. 
[20:57] <ravenshad> this is true talia.. 
[20:57] <ntalia> or emotionally, one might change or be at a point that they cannot give the same thing. 
[20:57] <ravenshad> Do you think that many times people forget about reality when negotiating a bdsm relationship, and expect things to remain static? 
[20:57] <ntalia> if you're talking about a committed relationship, you may want to get through the phase or even give something up because of the commitment. 
[20:58] <ravenshad> true talia... 
[20:58] <subdancer> in some cases you just adjust the game/play 
[20:59] <subdancer> if a sub/slave can't stand she sits 
[20:59] <ntalia> i think in this day and age where divorce is common, where things are instant and we have an attitude that if something doesn't work, you toss it out and get a new one, i think some people believe things stay perfect. 
[20:59] <ntalia> they forget that relationships have ups and downs. require work. and don't stay perfect cause they don't stay static. 
[21:00] <_mizu_> or they do not understand what a relationship is 
[21:00] <ravenshad> or they underestimate the other's level of comittment 
[21:01] <ravenshad> Do negotiations lend themselves to the creation of a contract? 
[21:01] <slavekat> in some situations yes raven i would say so 
[21:01] <Bugs42`> they can 
[21:01] <ntalia> negotiations shouldn't be static either. they should be ongoing throughout relationships. 
[21:01] <Bugs42`> I don't like contracts, they seem so set in stone 
[21:02] <_mizu_> no, at that point it is not a relationship, if you have to have it on paper, then it is work 
[21:02] <ravenshad> what about an m/s relationship talia? does the slave have the right to call for negotiations? or do they have to accept the dominant's edict? 
[21:02] <slavekat> realtionships are work aren't they 
[21:02] <ravenshad> I agree with Bugs and mizu on that..though, I can see where a contract would be helpful..similar to checklists, tick lists, and such 
[21:02] <ravenshad> so long as a contract is revised and discussed often..it would not remain static.. 
[21:03] <ravenshad> more work than many realize kat.. 
[21:04] <ravenshad> Do negotiations occur in play partner arrangements or mentoring situations? 
[21:04] <Bugs42`> I like checklists and tick lists but I see them as separate 
[21:05] <Bugs42`> yes, they do, you need to have the expectations laid out in both of those relationships as well 
[21:05] <ravenshad> How do you prevent negotiations/discussions from breaking down? 
[21:06] <leendah> i am going to say something at the risk of sounding really dense...but once a relationship reaches a point of real trust and a sub/slave is knows  how well their Master reads them or knows them wouldn't negotionations become less nececssary and downright tedious? 
[21:06] <slavekat> ahhhh, the hard part, slaves and subs alike have trouble with the all important opening of the mouth thing 
[21:06] <Bugs42`> be honest at all times and sometimes you cannot prevent it, but alwaays be willing to give and take 
[21:06] <_mizu_> yes leendah, but for the frist year they are needed 
[21:06] <ravenshad> they can..yes li..and I think in such a relationship..they wouldn't be negotiations anymore..they would be discussions of the relationship as it stands now..and where it may go.. 
[21:06] <ravenshad> true kat..they do.. 
[21:07] <ravenshad> true Bugs.. :) 
[21:07] <Bugs42`> I think even though you reach that level of comfort leendah, since things constantly change, you should still negotiate or at least talk 
[21:08] <leendah> yes Sir i agree with that but i like to think that there is some spontainaity 
[21:08] <subdancer> communication stands up there with consentual 
[21:08] <_mizu_> it is more talk than negotiate Sir 
[21:09] <Bugs42`> I agree mizu, I put negotiate in intsances where it may be called for, a "pinch point" if you will 
[21:09] <ravenshad> I agree dancer.. 
[21:10] <_mizu_> after the first year, it just kinda fit's together, the only time would be if something new came into the relationship 
[21:10] <ravenshad> like sharing your partner, a new activity for both parties, something that was a limit for the sub before but became an "I'm willing to try it" type thing..you mean Bugs?? 
[21:11] <ravenshad> as for spontaneity..I don't think discussions or negotiation ruin spontaneity of a scene or relationship... 
[21:11] <Bugs42`> yes raven, and egereious situation that is not talked but better negotiated instead of fumed over 
[21:11] <ravenshad> wouldn't what happens, when it happens, and how it happens still be in the dom's hands? 
[21:11] <ravenshad> ummmm...egereious??? (sorry..I can't think tonight) 
[21:12] <Bugs42`> outrageous, extreme 
[21:12] <ravenshad> thanks Bugs.. :) 
[21:12] <slavekat> ty Bugs Sir :) i had trouble with that one too 
[21:12] <ravenshad> I agree with that..anything extreme should at the very least be discussed before being done.. 
[21:14] <leendah> i agree on the extreme raven...plus something which sounds extreme without discussion when explained may not be at all 
[21:14] <ravenshad> if I do not receive an email requesting anonymity, I will assume that is giving me permission to use the logs as they appear, with nicks intact 
[21:14] <ravenshad> true li.. 
[21:15] <ravenshad> How important is compatability in the area of play? 
[21:15] <leendah> compatability how/ 
[21:15] <leendah> ? 
[21:15] <slavekat> play also has many levels doesn't it 
[21:16] <ravenshad> both people like the same kinds and level/intensity of play..and should it be extensively discussed? 
[21:16] <ravenshad> yes it does kat.. 
[21:16] <NoirRose> Very 
[21:16] <NoirRose> Yes, it should 
[21:16] <leendah> very important... 
[21:16] <ravenshad> I agree NR and li.. :) 
[21:17] <Bugs42`> I don;t see compatability in play as that importanat as long as limits are respected 
[21:17] <ravenshad> Then, would it be logical, for people to decide what are types of play they would prefer not to live without, and which ones are "negotiable"? 
[21:17] <leendah> but i think there may be exceptions, not glaring ones  
[21:17] <ravenshad> Wouldn't it cause trouble Bugs, Sir..if you liked, say, cutting..and your partner detests it? 
[21:18] <LAR^> There is an excellent check list in screw the roses for that 
[21:18] <Bugs42`> no, not as long as limits were discussed and respected 
[21:18] <NoirRose> Bug: What if one partner prefers pain play, and the other just likes simple bondage? 
[21:18] <ravenshad> yes..but it's missing a few items Lar 
[21:18] <LAR^> My pet and I have certain differences in our play preferences, yet we found a lot of common ground as well 
[21:18] <Bugs42`> and I see play as not necessarrily in a relationship 
[21:18] <NoirRose> I would have to say that compatiblity in play would be extremely important 
[21:19] <lil`dragn> sorry y'all for being so quiet....but I must go now....see about finding that darn SandMan who seems to be avoiding me here lately 
[21:19] <ravenshad> NR, I'd say there is a problem then..though I doubt a sadist or masochist would want to partner themselves with someone who did not like those activities 
[21:19] <Bugs42`> in that case NR if you are willing to play, but that different, take turns from time to time 
[21:19] <leendah> Noirrose i think that would be negotiable...pain play or/and simple bondage 
[21:19] <NoirRose> Well, for an analogy, wouldn't that be fairly similar to a gay man married to a gay woman? 
[21:21] <ravenshad> How does one get a sub to overcome their fear of speaking up during negotiations? and could that fear severely hamper negotiations? 
[21:21] * fae{NR} would also pose the same question for Dom/mes * 
[21:22] <NoirRose> Yes, it could... 
[21:22] <ravenshad> yes it does go both ways fae..though I think it hampers subs more since so many think they shouldn't speak up because they are sub.. 
[21:22] <_mizu_> i never had a fear of saying what thing's i considered to far for me 
[21:22] <ravenshad> good for you mizu.. :) 
[21:23] <Bugs42`> I could say beat it out of them, but I doubt that would work... set up a signal or a "free" time 
[21:23] <ravenshad> free time? 
[21:23] * ravenshad plays dummy 
[21:23] <leendah> limited experience here but i have found that some Doms draw me out first and make me comfortable with everything I desire then slowly start introduceing netotiation 
[21:24] <ravenshad> draw you out how Li? 
[21:24] <Bugs42`> free time, outside of roles or perhaps even a journal that is off limits or non punishable 
[21:24] <leendah> by providing an extreme comfort zone in talking.... 
[21:25] <LAR^> leendah, that certainly works well in play. But, when my elle first offered me her full submission, we spent quite a bit of time discussing and negotiating her rules. With the understanding that this is an ongoing process 
[21:25] <leendah> nothing i say will dissapoint them 
[21:25] <ravenshad> good point Bugs Sir.. :) 
[21:25] <leendah> they want to know everything 
[21:25] <ravenshad> ok..does that talking include things like play, expectations, responsibilities, limits Li? 
[21:25] <leendah> and invite and encourage every last thought or fantasy 
[21:25] <ravenshad> what if the sub doesn't want to set any limits? or finds that their limits no longer exist with that dominant? 
[21:26] <leendah> a little at a time but i am also talking from a perspective of not wanting to scare me off maybe 
[21:26] <ravenshad> possibly..sounds like that kind of discussion falls under negotiation.. 
[21:26] <ravenshad> negotiation, hardly becomes something formal for most people..it's a matter of openly talking about the relationship and BDSM in general, and specifically how it applies to you that takes place... 
[21:27] <leendah> other things they can say can be reasurring such as one that I loved was If this *example * ever happened I would have failed in my duties 
[21:28] <ravenshad> that can be helpful..to know what the dominant considers to be a "failure' on the sub's part.. 
[21:28] <Bugs42`> if limits are unknown, then everything must be taken slowly 
[21:28] <leendah> no he was discussing what he took seriously as his duties  
[21:28] <leendah> but the opposite would be true as well 
[21:29] <leendah> but for a Dom to outline what they themselves thinks crosses the line or would be a mistake in judgement makes me feel safer in their hands 
[21:29] * NoirRose nods at leen 
[21:31] <Bugs42`> agreed, the boundaries must be well drawn, so everyone knows what not to cross 
[21:32] <AlstrBlck> But aren't boundries meant to be met and expanded? 
[21:32] <leendah> also the semantics are important i think. When breath play was first brought up to me I thought they meant they wanted to smother me... 
[21:32] <Mongoose> AlstrBlck: you can't put your head through a cieling ;) 
[21:33] <AlstrBlck> Mongoose: Want to bet? 
[21:33] <leendah> then when it was explained as a couple of seconds to reinforce control, well that was another matter <g> 
[21:33] <ntalia> no Mongoose sir, but the ceiling is not always where we first think it is. 
[21:33] <ntalia> and sometimes it does change. 
[21:33] <Mongoose> AlstrBlck: hehe 
[21:33] <slavekat> and the ceiling may be an illusion in the first place 
[21:34] <Mongoose> talia: I start at '1. snuff play is right out' 
[21:34] <Mongoose> talia: I see ceiling and limit as different things 
[21:34] <leendah> do you mean "Out right?" Sir? 
[21:35] <Bugs42`> I agree it is semantics and that is indeed something that should be discussed 
[21:35] <Mongoose> leendah: no right out, like not ever permitted 
[21:35] <leendah> that is what i thought. thank you 
[21:36] <ravenshad> ok..so is it safe to say that someone should have a good idea of what they are interested in or at leat willing to try before entering into a BDSM relationship? 
[21:36] <Mongoose> talia: some people never want to cross the multilation due to religious beliefs 
[21:36] <Mongoose> talia: that come also be a 'cieling'...  
[21:37] * ravenshad peers down her jammie at her nipples..gasps..OHMY I've been mutilated..<JOKE> 
[21:37] <_mizu_> yes raven, that prevents alot of problems 
[21:37] <ravenshad> Mongoose..what do you mean by ceiling? 
[21:37] <Mongoose> ravenshad: heheh 
[21:37] <AlstrBlck> Good example, raven! 
[21:37] * ntalia nods. yes, but what is a ceiling today, may not be tomorrow. 
[21:37] * slavekat giggles wildly at raven 
[21:37] <ravenshad> is not mutiliation in the eye of the beholder? 
[21:37] <ravenshad> I mean, to some peircing my nipples for master is mutilating my body..but not to me.. 
[21:38] <Mongoose> ravenshad: I consider mutilation like dismemberment 
[21:38] <ravenshad> Ahhh...ok :) 
[21:38] <ravenshad> well yeah..I think I'd consider dismemberment to be mutilation as well.. :) 
[21:38] <AlstrBlck> But piercing is mutilation.  It makes a hole in the body, moves flesh and meat, and leaves permanent scars. 
[21:38] <ravenshad> Do you think that all the variances in definitions for terms, makes negotiation more difficult? 
[21:39] <ravenshad> yeah..used to be a limit for me AB...<giggle> not anymore! 
[21:39] <NoirRose> Well, that should be a part of the negotiation process, a mutual definition of terms 
[21:39] <slavekat> what if the slave says she has not limits 
[21:39] <_mizu_> yes raven, the vocabulary is a mess 
[21:39] <Mongoose> perhaps it's also a good idea to only discuss thing that a sub has, can, and might do... 
[21:40] <AlstrBlck> Everyone has limits, even if they say they don't.  They just don't realize it. 
[21:40] <ravenshad> DO you think that maybe it is time to stop redefining every term to fit "our" relationships just because we like the way it sounds? 
[21:40] <Mongoose> that way you avoid the infinite 'limits'...  
[21:40] <ntalia> i think the limits change. a women who hasn't had children but plans to, may not be comfortable in having nipples pierced. 
[21:40] <slavekat> i do raven 
[21:40] * NoirRose nods 
[21:40] <ntalia> but after having children, after having nursed them... maybe it's okay. 
[21:41] <ravenshad> I agree talia.. 
[21:41] <Bugs42`> tattoos are another form of mutilation 
[21:41] <ravenshad> Though..from my understanding, peircing doesn't interfere with nursing..as the ducts heal around the peircing hole..so no you don't get milk shooting out the sides.. 
[21:41] <Mongoose> it's harder to rule out things than to agree on types of permited play 
[21:42] <ntalia> yes, but there is a risk involvedd. 
[21:42] <ravenshad> true there is talia..blocked ducts and all that 
[21:42] <ravenshad> gee..and I just veered to the left.. :) 
[21:42] <ravenshad> Is the discussion of a safeword something that should be included in negotiation, or handled seperately? 
[21:43] <Bugs42`> I think it should be up front and immediate 
[21:43] <_mizu_> best to do it before the negotiation 
[21:43] <AlstrBlck> I bring it up immediately, before anything starts. 
[21:44] <ravenshad> Does a sub have the right to demand a safeword? 
[21:44] <_mizu_> yes 
[21:44] <slavekat> yes a sub does 
[21:44] <AlstrBlck> If she/he doesn't have that right, then how does one know that they are a willing party? 
[21:44] <ntalia> i think in the course of negotiations, a sub has the right to demand anything then need. 
[21:45] <Bugs42`> a sub does, a slave does not 
[21:45] <ravenshad> possibly by them saying something like "whip me, beat me, hurt me, make me write bad checks..just don't mess up my hair"...or seriously, saying, sure..let's play! 
[21:45] <ntalia> once the negotiations are done or that round is done, a sub needs to be willing to accept what they negotiated. 
[21:45] * slavekat nods at Bugs 
[21:45] <ravenshad> if a sub has the right to demand whatever they need, are they in fact submitting? 
[21:46] <fae{NR}> yes, if it's an actual need...no if it's only a want/desire 
[21:46] <ravenshad> agreed talia..a sub must be willing to accept what they negotiated... 
[21:46] <Bugs42`> in the beginning that is the safest way, submit partially 
[21:46] <ravenshad> agreed fae.. :) 
[21:46] <ravenshad> why isn't a slave allowed a safeword Bugs Sir? 
[21:47] <Bugs42`> a slave has no rights, no limits 
[21:47] <ravenshad> true...so is it safe to say that one should be careful before labeling themselves a slave? 
[21:47] * slavekat agrees wholeheartedly with Bugs 
[21:48] <Bugs42`> most definitely!!!! 
[21:48] * dekatia pulls on her hipboots... 
[21:48] <AlstrBlck> so if a Master wanted to brand a slave, or, to extremes, cut off their nipples, they'd have no say in the matter? 
[21:48] <ravenshad> dekatia...hip boots? 
[21:48] <slavekat> exactly AB 
[21:48] <ravenshad> I have to agree that one should be careful labeling themselves a slave 
[21:48] <dekatia> yes, it's getting deep in here...no rights, no limits 
[21:49] <Bugs42`> not if they were a slave... they gave up that right 
[21:49] <ravenshad> actually kat, for those in M/s the answer to AB is..YES..correct 
[21:49] <ravenshad> hence, be careful before you take a collar in an M/s relationship 
[21:49] <ravenshad> they are different than D/s..very different 
[21:49] <slavekat> YES very very raven, thank you 
[21:50] <dekatia> apparently r/l relationships differ from those who type one-handedly about M/s and D/s on the net, too 
[21:50] <ravenshad> dekatia...not really.. 
[21:50] <Bugs42`> why do you say that? 
[21:50] <ravenshad> I live a 24/7 relationship..I am slave..by my definition.. 
[21:50] <ravenshad> which means..I am the property of my master..in all areas..it's up to him what happens, and I like it that way.. 
[21:51] <dekatia> i'm tired of these ppl who think that have this my way or the highway attitude...there are many different styles of d/s relationships, not just one true form 
[21:51] <subdancer> night mizu 
[21:51] <ravenshad> No one said there was one true form dekatia.. 
[21:51] <slavekat> agreed dekatia 
[21:52] <dekatia> you are speaking about opinions as if they are absolutes 
[21:52] <ravenshad> I am speaking of other's realities that are indeed absolutes to them... 
[21:52] <slavekat> not at all, that was not my intention, my definition of slave is mine about myself 
[21:52] <Bugs42`> nope, just from my perspective.... 
[21:53] <ravenshad> there are quite a few who believe a slave has no rights..so it is important that one be careful what they term themselves and who they use the term with..or one could end up in a world of hurt.. 
[21:53] <slavekat> when one is faced with a Master that says "I will allow you no limits, no safewords for you slave" that is reality 
[21:53] <ravenshad> hence, the statement earlier, that discussing one's definitions of the terms is extremely important to negotiation.. 
[21:54] <Bugs42`> that is one of the reasons we have these discussions, to show the differences and especially why negotiation is important 
[21:54] <dekatia> sounds like an awfully short form of negotiation...one that would leave me running the other direction.... 
[21:55] <slavekat> that is an option for you, and me as well, that is why the need for negotiation 
[21:55] <Bugs42`> and that would be best if that is how you felt rather than getting involved and then finding out 
[21:55] <ravenshad> you missed a lot of that discussion earlier dekatia...where it was said that in m/s the participants must be very careful to discuss their expectations and compatability and not accept a collar they can't live up to..or accept a collar thinking they can make the dominant change his/her mind 
[21:55] <AlstrBlck> deka, I'm sure you'll find some of us are flexible, and not as rigid as you seem to think. 
[21:56] <dekatia> we've spoken before Astr :) 
[21:56] <AlstrBlck> we have? 
[21:57] * AlstrBlck shakes the pea masquerading as his brain.... 
[21:57] <dekatia> *sigh* yes...girls, how quickly they forget, huh? 
[21:57] <ravenshad> since it has now been raised...are there any special considerations in negotiating a cyber relationship into real life? 
[21:57] <slavekat> oh good one raven thank you ~sigh~ 
[21:57] <fae{NR}> it will be important to discuss if there are things that a person won't do in r/l that they will in cyber 
[21:57] <ravenshad> excellent point fae.. :) 
[21:58] <ravenshad> I think when taking a relationship from cyber to real life, it becomes extremely important to discuss reality..day to day things... 
[22:00] <ravenshad> how about..moods? emotional changes that may occur from time to time.. 
[22:00] * slavekat is waiting for divine guidance on this subject 
[22:01] <ravenshad> or PMS...(which does happen to men too yanno!) 
[22:01] <ravenshad> LOL kat 
[22:01] <slavekat> i've heard 
[22:01] <ravenshad> I've seen.. LOLOL 
[22:01] <ravenshad> is it important to discuss those things when negotiation from cyber to reality? 
[22:02] <AlstrBlck> oh yeah, emotional changes... Like I don't know THAT subject... 
[22:02] <slavekat> ofcourse it is 
[22:02] <slavekat> its easy to forget the reality of it when its all in your heart 
[22:03] <ravenshad> yes 
[22:03] <slavekat> its a good idea to tell the sub/slave if you expect your underwear folded in thirds andplaced just so 
[22:04] <ravenshad> Yanno kat, some people would call that obsessing over discussing things, but I agree with you..often it is the little things that no one foresaw or brought up, that cause the most problems.. 
22:04] <ravenshad> like..he never rinses his whiskers out of the sink..or she snores real loud 
[22:04] <slavekat> exactly, i know i appreciate that ....i mean, i need to know what i will be livign with 
[22:05] <ravenshad> well, all..it's 10 PM here..any questions or comments before we wrap this up for the night? 
[22:06] <ravenshad> I have one..should negotiation be as extensive in an online only relationship? 
[22:06] <ravenshad> or does it really not matter that much, since there isn't any actual physical touching? 
[22:06] <Bugs42`> yes, what I think and live is only me... I hope everyone else finds what fits them, no matter what the beliefs or terminology 
[22:07] <ravenshad> Well said and I agree Bugs Sir.. :) 
[22:08] <ravenshad> My thanks to all of you for another sucessful discussion, your participation is greatly appreciated.. :)
Back To Logs 1999 Email

LnR Toy Store

Site Map

To hear of changes to the web site, or events taking place in the chat room, enter your e-mail address and click on the button below to join the LnRannounce mailing list. This is an announcement list only and is of very low volume. Or if you prefer, e-mail Raven (ravenshad@knology.net ) to be added to the list, be sure to include your e-mail address and the name of the list within the e-mail.

Subscribe to LnRannounce