Presents:

BDSM Discussion  4

Safe, Sane, Consensual AKA SSC

All Comments Posted Here With Permission Of The Participants

[20:10] * ravenshad says Hello and welcome to leather and roses' weekly discussions on BDSM the following rules apply.. 
[20:11] <ravenshad> you must be of legal age to participate, if you are not, please leave 
[20:11] <ravenshad> legal age being 18 or 21 depending on your local laws.. 
[20:11] <ravenshad> no trolling will be tolerated, this is not a singles night, it is a discussion night 
[20:12] <ravenshad> if you troll, you are apt to be kicked from channel and possibly banned 
[20:12] <ravenshad> be polite when speaking and do not flame anyone. You can disagree with an idea, but do not attack the person making the idea. Flamers, will be kicked 
[20:12] <ravenshad> all statements are publishable on the web site, with nicks changed (at your request, email webmaster@leathernroses.com if you don't want your nick used. 
[20:13] <ravenshad> OK...I figured we could cover SSC (safe sane consensual) tonight.. 
[20:13] <ravenshad> I realize this is a hot topic, in that it can create arguments so easily, so I ask that everyone please have patience and keep an open mind.. 
[20:14] <ravenshad> SSC is being touted as the "mantra" so to speak of BDSM...Do you think that all this pushing of SSC has diluted the original intent of the words? 
[20:14] <Bugs42`> Yes! 
[20:14] <ravenshad> Ohhh..emphatic tonight aren't we Sir?? 
[20:14] * ravenshad grins.. 
[20:14] <Tatsumi> personally, i think the words themsleves have no special weight to them. and that people use the SSC slogan instead of their brains 
[20:14] <Soulhuntr> Nope - I think it was always intended as a mantra... so this is right on target. 
[20:15] <ravenshad> I agree Tatsumi.. 
[20:15] <Tatsumi> :) 
[20:15] <ravenshad> I can't speak on what the intention was, my understanding is that the intention was to make BDSM "safer" for those involved.. 
[20:15] <ravenshad> though..I do wonder if the intention was not also to make BDSM more acceptable in general.. 
[20:15] <ravenshad> what do you think? 
[20:15] <Bugs42`> I see it as a nice catch phrase, but it is the individuals that determine their meaning 
[20:16] <ravenshad> I agree Bugs.. 
[20:16] <_mizu_> most of what i have done would not be considered "safe" by most people, but it was consensual 
[20:16] <Soulhuntr> It's purpose, IMHO was to try and give us a 'defemse' in the eyes of the vanilla world. 
[20:16] <ravenshad> that's a point..just who defines what is safe? 
[20:17] <ravenshad> I can see that Soul...and would that be a bad thing considering the risks we take by living BDSM? 
[20:17] <ravenshad> risks meaning: losing jobs, kids..etc. 
[20:17] <Tatsumi> SSC has not lessened those risks 
[20:18] <Tatsumi> remember the Haughtens? 
[20:18] <Tatsumi> <sp> 
[20:18] <ravenshad> no it hasn't Tat...I wish it had though... 
[20:18] <_mizu_> not realy raven, thoes can be done without having the lifestyle brought into it in the present day world 
[20:18] <Soulhuntr> Yes... I think it is a bad thing... because it doesn;t protect us as a group, and leave out in the cold the more extreme elements. 
[20:18] <ravenshad> ummm..nope I don't remember them..explain please? 
[20:19] <Tatsumi> a married couple videotaped a scene for personal viewing later 
[20:19] <Soulhuntr> There is an analogy in the gay community - in an attempt to be acceopted, a group of advocates got together to tell the world that they wanted what straights wanted, monogomy and so on. 
[20:19] <Tatsumi> a "freind" found the tape and gave it to the cops 
[20:19] <ravenshad> I have to agree with that Soul..it does abandon those who are more extreme ...which in my opinion, goes against the whole "open mind" and tolerance thing... 
[20:19] <Soulhuntr> In the process, they left out in the cold the non-monogamous gays... and left them to the wolves. 
[20:19] <ravenshad> Ahhhh..yes I remember that now... that was nasty.. :( 
[20:19] <Tatsumi> they were arrested and their children put into foster care 
[20:20] <Tatsumi> the case took over a year and cost thousands 
[20:20] <sulis-tax> that is rediculous I assume that the children where not in the video tats am i correct 
[20:20] <Tatsumi> yes sulis 
[20:20] <Bugs42`> seems that SSC tries to set a standard.. the same one for everyone 
[20:20] <ravenshad> yes sulis..but that doesn't matter when it comes to BdSM.. 
[20:20] <Tatsumi> the tape stated upfront that both people were doing this b/c they liked it and loved each other, etc 
[20:20] <Tatsumi> even quoted the SSC slogan in the tape 
[20:21] <Tatsumi> it didn't matter 
[20:21] <ravenshad> many don't even know that the DSMIV has changed the definition of masochist and submissive etc..so it is no longer classified as a psychological illness...unless it encompases and hinders the person's life.. 
[20:21] <AlstrBlck> I have always said that anything 2 (or more) consenting adults do, in private or on video, is nobody's concern, until and unless they choose to make it so. 
[20:21] * chensay agrees 
[20:21] <Tatsumi> they were arrested for battery i think 
[20:21] <ravenshad> I agree that those pushing SSC are trying to set a "standard" for the entire lifestyle..problem with doing that is the lifestyle is too varied to find many commonalities across the board.. 
[20:21] <sulis-tax> i dont understand why our court systme would do that I mean what differnece is what i do in bed with my husband do hetero vanilla people have the same problems with video taping themeselves 
[20:21] <Tatsumi> and then for endangering a minor 
[20:22] <ravenshad> exactly Tats..endangering a minor.. 
[20:22] <ravenshad> then add in.."best interest of the child" sulis..those who are in BDSM are considered unfit parents.. :( 
[20:22] * _mizu_ giggles 
[20:22] <Tatsumi> anyone remember the resultion of the case? 
[20:22] <ntalia> i think the problem with SSC is not the concept, but the degree to which it is pushed. 
[20:23] <ntalia> i don't think most would like to do harm to a partner, but there is risk inherent in much of what we do. and the degree of risk becomes an issue for those proposing ssc. 
[20:23] <ravenshad> I'm sorry Tats, but I don't remember.. 
[20:23] <Bugs42`> I agree ntalia, but the concept is taken as a standard 
[20:24] <sulis-tax> i personally am watching a court case about a woman who has a husband and live in boyfriend and the custody of the groups children. 
[20:24] <_mizu_> i agree with talia, i know my limit's and to some they are extreame, but i recieve more injures fighting in a acceptble sport then BDSM 
[20:24] <Tatsumi> too bad. i lost contact with the couple and the case after Philip died 
[20:24] <AlstrBlck> raven, do you remember that story I sent you a while back? 
[20:24] <ntalia> certainly anyone who is vanilla looking at what we do wouldn't call it safe or sane. but i watch skydivers and wonder the same with them.... 
[20:25] <Tatsumi> good point talia 
[20:25] <ravenshad> should we, as a whole, set regulations that would ensure physical safety for those in the lifestyle? 
[20:25] <ravenshad> Yes..a few weeks ago right? 
[20:25] <sulis-tax> they want to take her kids because she lives consesually with the two men 
[20:25] <ravenshad> exactly talia... 
[20:25] <Soulhuntr> No. 
[20:26] <ravenshad> I hope they don't win sulis..that's a stupid reason to take someone's kids.. 
[20:26] <sulis-tax> how could you do that 
[20:26] <Tatsumi> No Raven 
[20:26] <Bugs42`> no, no regulations 
[20:26] <chensay> i dont think so... 
[20:26] <Soulhuntr> All that such a set of rules will do is fragment us. 
[20:26] <_mizu_> there is no way that could be done raven 
[20:26] <ravenshad> But, aren't we already fragmented? 
[20:26] * ravenshad is playing devil's advocate.. 
[20:26] <Tatsumi> we are Raven? 
[20:26] <ravenshad> I agree that it shouldn't be done.. 
[20:26] <Tatsumi> explain please? 
[20:26] <ravenshad> ok... 
[20:26] <ntalia> can we agree that consensual is a requirement. that the only person you are allowed to involve in a non-consensual scene is one who has already agreed that it's acceptable to be involved in a rape type scene? 
[20:27] <Bugs42`> we are not as fragmented as we would be 
[20:27] <chensay> its too easy to get into my kink is ok and yours isnt with regulations... i want what i do between me and my Domme.. 
[20:27] <_mizu_> only by the one's who want to be accepted as "publicy acceptible behaivor" 
[20:27] <ravenshad> This is just from what I've seen, which isn't an excessive amount, but..many in BDSM look down on anyone who enjoys something different from themselves.. 
[20:27] <ravenshad> labelling quickly the person as "unsafe" and someone to be wary of.. 
[20:27] <Tatsumi> sure, but that's true anywhere Raven 
[20:27] <ravenshad> edge play for example..those who enjoy it, aren't as welcome by those who don't.. 
[20:27] <ravenshad> true it does Tats...but should it happen in BDSM? 
[20:27] <sulis-tax> lets not get into the black balling issue 
[20:28] <Bugs42`> that is true, there are many holier than thous in our lifestyle, I see that as a defense 
[20:28] <Tatsumi> should? no 
[20:28] <sulis-tax> that always back fires 
[20:28] <ravenshad> I agree sulis.. 
[20:28] <Tatsumi> but lots of stuff "shouldn't be" 
[20:28] <ravenshad> but it happens far too often.. 
[20:28] <sulis-tax> because who gets to choose what is not safe 
[20:28] <ravenshad> true Tats..but I think that by discussing it ..we may be able to promote a more tolerant mindset in people.. 
[20:28] <sulis-tax> who makes the rules 
[20:29] <_mizu_> and we will have world peace, yea right 
[20:29] <ravenshad> I don't know..but I do recall someone mentioning the rules for a submissive that some group came up with.. 
[20:29] <Bugs42`> if a choice is to be made by me, I would rather promote tolerance than SSC 
[20:29] <ravenshad> rules that give the sub a lot of control in a relationship.. 
[20:29] <Tatsumi> it's possible, but if the mailing lists are any indication, tolerance is not something that can be acchieved by talk alone 
[20:29] <ravenshad> Depends on the list Tats..but I think you're right 
[20:29] <ravenshad> many lists become cliques... 
[20:29] <Tatsumi> yup 
[20:30] <Tatsumi> the only rulw i can think of is THINK 
[20:30] <ravenshad> Does this fragmentation (or intolerance) possibly make the lifestyle more dangerous? 
[20:30] <Tatsumi> how so? 
[20:30] <_mizu_> no, just more fragmented becasue no one wishes to learn 
[20:31] <ravenshad> By preventing information about more controversial practices from reaching the ears/eyes of those who want to learn? 
[20:31] <ravenshad> for example..gun play.. 
[20:31] <chensay> i think all the information should be available and if its not your thing you dont do it.. 
[20:31] <ravenshad> I was recently involved in a discussion about gun play..the person who started the posts (yes a list) was immediately branded a "psychopathic killer" and reamed big time.. 
[20:31] <Tatsumi> that's why websites and books and mailing lists exist 
[20:31] <Tatsumi> to provide info for those who want it 
[20:31] <Soulhuntr> Was that me? 
[20:32] <Soulhuntr> it's soo hard to keep it straight :) 
[20:32] <ravenshad> In this case..any actual information he imparted, was lost among the flames.. 
[20:32] <ravenshad> no Soul..not my list.. :) 
[20:32] * _mizu_ bow's to Cherrie saying, "greetings" 
[20:32] <Cherrie> hello A/all 
[20:32] <ravenshad> a different list..but I remember that discussion on the other list.. 
[20:32] <Tatsumi> lol raven 
[20:32] <AlstrBlck> I've been "attacked" by an 18 year old girl for saying that the dog collar she wore symbolized submissiviness.  She and her friends flamed me like you would not believe! 
[20:32] <Tatsumi> that makes us crazy i guess:) 
[20:32] <AlstrBlck> She is now a masochist, into pain, and one of her friends is a crack head... 
[20:32] <ravenshad> Does that increase the chances of someone trying such a scene without knowing possible safety issues? 
[20:32] * chensay likes collars *smiles* 
[20:33] <_mizu_> humm, that's actualy a fashion statement in some areas now Sir, mostly the Goth sceen's 
[20:33] <Tatsumi> fashion collars annoy me 
[20:33] <ravenshad> that's justice for you AB.. LOL 
[20:33] <Tatsumi> i doubt it raven 
[20:33] <Soulhuntr> True enough.... makes me want to grab the ring and see if they have any clue what they are playign with :) 
[20:34] <_mizu_> ohh yea 
[20:34] <KimiD> perk? 
[20:34] * ravenshad giggles..now that would be cute.. 
[20:34] * chensay grins 
[20:34] <ravenshad> ok..sane.. 
[20:34] <_mizu_> but they are not very well made, would break easly (done it) (giggle) 
[20:34] <ravenshad> what the hell is sane?? 
[20:34] <Tatsumi> if someone goes into a scene w/o knowing the saftey issues, they are stupid and no amount of SSC sloganing is going to help them 
[20:34] <ravenshad> I agree Tats... :) 
[20:35] <_mizu_> that's true 
[20:35] * ravenshad has a picture of her mother wearing a beautiful choker necklace..would make a wonderful daily collar...<g> 
[20:36] * ravenshad repeats.."What is sane?" 
[20:36] <Bugs42`> to me safe is what my sub and I decide and only we know if we are sane and if there is no consent we do not do it, but as the Dom, I prefer having the say in the safe and consent portions 
[20:36] <Tatsumi> i'm not even going there Raven 
[20:37] <Tatsumi> it's too personal to define 
[20:37] * chensay giggles and glances over to the nice men in white jackets and doesnt answer about sane 
[20:37] <ravenshad> having the say in the consent portions? 
[20:37] <AlstrBlck> "Sane" is where you find your own comfort.  One's sanity is another's insanity. 
[20:37] <ravenshad> yes it is very personal and difficult to define Tats... 
[20:37] <_mizu_> sane, is what is difined by popular culture of the time 
[20:37] <Tatsumi> :) 
[20:38] <sulis-tax> yes and no mizu 
[20:38] <Bugs42`> when the sub agreed to be my sub, she showed she trusted me and my judgement, granted there mat be times when she does not want to do something but I do 
[20:38] <ravenshad> I agree AB..but is there a line where even those of us in BDSM cross into the "insane" area? 
[20:38] <ntalia> for me sane talks about not taking advantage of someone who is looking for a quick f*** because they're depressed. or not taking advantage of a person's intoxication. 
[20:38] <ravenshad> Ahhh..I see Bugs...so would you then not allow a safe word? 
[20:38] * chensay agrees with talia 
[20:39] <ravenshad> good point talia.. 
[20:39] <Bugs42`> I do not like tsafe words but yes, it is allowed 
[20:39] <AlstrBlck> raven, I know my limits.  I pkayed around with electricity with a friend, and she enjoyed it.  When she started getting into have a stun gun pressed to her ass, 10,000 volts or something like that, that's where Ii said she passed my limits. 
[20:39] <chensay> ouch? *giggles* 
[20:39] <sulis-tax> i mean what you consider sane and what i consider to be sane maybe to totally different things 
[20:40] <SirWolf> 10000 volts isn't playing,,, 
[20:40] <ravenshad> I agree with that sulis but again, is there a measurement that can be used (or yardstick so to speak) where one would be considered beyond the limits of sanity? 
[20:40] <_mizu_> nope, not at all 
[20:40] <ntalia> i think a safeword is an interesting idea, but the word "no" or "stop" should have power. i was lucky with my master, but i could see with a new partner needing something to let them know my limits. 
[20:41] <Bugs42`> it's back to know who you play with and talk 
[20:41] <Tatsumi> and THINK 
[20:41] <sulis-tax> But safewords are not always practical 
[20:41] <ntalia> yes Bugs sir, but there is always a first time so there is always a learning period 
[20:41] <ravenshad> true they aren't.. 
[20:41] <KimiD> <--agrees with sulis 
[20:42] <ravenshad> we covered safewords a few weeks ago..<giggle> 
[20:42] <ravenshad> Has SSC somehow made BDSM more difficult than it should be? 
[20:42] <Bugs42`> we all go through learning periods and if we were smart we learned then played 
[20:42] <SirWolf> Soul,,, if you've never seen one used ,,, there not 
[20:42] <_mizu_> yeap, that is the only way thing's should be handled, between the two people who know there limit's and how they should go about trying something new 
[20:42] <sulis-tax> I mean When you are off in your own world I couldnt mutter daddy let alone a safe word 
[20:43] <sulis-tax> and what if you are gagged 
[20:43] <sulis-tax> then what 
[20:43] * chensay doesnt like gags 
[20:43] <sulis-tax> Talent knows kat and i so well that he can tell when something is not right 
[20:43] <sulis-tax> i trust that he will take our interests at heart or i would not be here 
[20:44] <Bugs42`> would you allow yourself to be gagged by a stranger sulis-tax? 
[20:44] <Tatsumi> i'm not a fan of safewords, but there are ways to communicate a safeword w/o verbal means. it could be a hand signal or a head toss, or whatever 
[20:44] <sulis-tax> I personally would not play with someone i dont trust with my life 
[20:44] <AlstrBlck> The woman I mentioned, who got into electricity, she was EXTREMELY stubborn, and would NEVER use a safe-word.  I saw her hands turning blue one night, the rope got twisted, and she wouldn't say it.  I caught it, and cut the ropes and made her take a break, and she was upset about it. 
[20:44] <KimiD> it's TRUE! 
[20:44] <_mizu_> right, and i am a blind person 
[20:44] <Tatsumi> no comment 
[20:45] <ravenshad> ok..we're going off into safeword land... 
[20:46] <cyn{Wolf}> we talked about implied consenuality yet? 
[20:46] <ravenshad> nope..was waiting for a response.. 
[20:46] <ravenshad> Has SSC somehow made BDSM more difficult than it should be? 
[20:46] <ravenshad> to that ^^^^^^^^^^^ 
[20:46] <Bugs42`> ok, SSC, I see it as ok for the new people, but it is in most cases not a reality as a standard 
[20:46] <Soulhuntr> Yeah.. I think so. 
[20:46] <Soulhuntr> I think it divides us. 
[20:46] <ravenshad> divides us into what? 
[20:46] <_mizu_> for the person looking into it for the frist time, yes 
[20:47] <ntalia> i think if you're talking about two consenting adults in their own home, no. it hasn't made it more difficult. 
[20:47] <ntalia> but if yoú're talking about play parties, then yes. it would make it tougher. 
[20:48] <ravenshad> I think it makes it more difficult to find tolerance within our "community" not just play parties.. 
[20:48] <ravenshad> Everyone agrees that consent is what seperates BDSM from abuse.. 
[20:48] <Cherrie> raven,,on SSC,,,I am finding that some have not heard of it, or they roll their eyes 
[20:48] <ravenshad> Just when is consent given? 
[20:48] <ravenshad> I roll my eyes now Cherrie.. LOL 
[20:48] * ravenshad has grown.. 
[20:49] <sulis-tax> yeah i agree raven 
[20:49] <Steven> <----wonders just what is the safest way to enter the world you all live in? 
[20:49] <Soulhuntr> I think the point of consent varies radically from person to person. 
[20:49] <Bugs42`> I am surprised that they have not heard of it 
[20:49] <_mizu_> when you say "ok, do me" 
[20:49] <Soulhuntr> And I think it means different things to different people. 
[20:49] * chensay gives concent when she crawls across the floor with the flogger in her mouth then begs.... 
[20:49] <Tatsumi> Steven, go to a PEP meeting or TES or some other informative, no-play environment 
[20:49] <Tatsumi> watch, listen, and learn 
[20:49] <ravenshad> safest way..I'd say through cyber...very little chance of any physical injury.. 
[20:49] <ravenshad> also..local groups in real life that are in your area.. 
[20:49] <AlstrBlck> The community I live in, thanx to this wonderful man, if the police so much as suspect you hit a woman, whether she was WILLING OR NOT, will arrest you. 
[20:50] <Steven> What is PEP or TES? 
[20:50] <Tatsumi> PEP = people exchanging power 
[20:50] <Tatsumi> TES = the eugenspiel <sp> society 
[20:50] <Steven> Thanks..... 
[20:51] <ravenshad> Both have web sites I believe Steven..with numbers or adresses where they can be contacted.. 
[20:51] <Tatsumi> D/s discussion groups that have demos and lectures and panels, etc.. 
[20:51] <Soulhuntr> www.tes.org I think :) 
[20:51] <Soulhuntr> Thats an interesting question... when do you consider yourself to have given consent? 
[20:51] <_mizu_> consent for me, was if they could cuff me, at times the was uhhmm a bit rough at times 
[20:51] <Tatsumi> when the collar goes on 
[20:51] <cyn{Wolf}> consent...when I submit..not until 
[20:52] <Bugs42`> I believe that blanket consent is given when the agreement to Master/sub is made 
[20:52] <KimiD> when i walked through the door 
[20:52] <ravenshad> I consider myself to have given consent when I submit to someone..though for me, blanket consent takes place when a collar is placed.. 
[20:52] <chensay> my concent was given when i was collared 
[20:52] <_mizu_> when i allow the cuff's to go on without a fight 
[20:53] <ravenshad> gee Bugs..you said that clearer than I did..thanks :) 
[20:53] <Bugs42`> is there a time when specific consent is needed? 
[20:53] <sulis-tax> thats a good ? it has just always been an unspoken thing between us 
[20:53] <Tatsumi> not for me Raven 
[20:53] <sulis-tax> i dont remember a specific time i said ok you can spank me or ok you can tie me up 
[20:53] <sulis-tax> it just happened 
[20:53] <_mizu_> but that is how i was trained 
[20:54] <ravenshad> I think that would be up to the people involved, but in general I'd say in a play partner arrangement, consent should be given before the play begins.. 
[20:54] <sulis-tax> i think it depends on the relationship you are in 
[20:54] * chensay agrees with raven 
[20:54] <Soulhuntr> ::nods:: Personally, I am much more comfortable with a physical symbol, a necklace, a collar, a wrist band or anklet... these sorts of things. 
[20:54] <sulis-tax> i mean in a 24/7 one prolly not but in a play one prolly yes 
[20:54] <ravenshad> under other general things I'd say consent to something new may be needed...or for a scene that is beyond the "norm" for the couple..(highly dependent upon those involved) 
[20:55] <Bugs42`> agreed raven, that is when I see a specific consent is needed 
[20:55] <^noelle> at first consent is a step by step thing until both players are comfortable with each other..as the relationship goes, that grows as does the trust to try other things 
[20:55] <ravenshad> I like the physical symbol as well Soul.. 
[20:55] <ravenshad> that is true noelle.. 
[20:55] <ravenshad> but that brings in this question.. 
[20:56] <Bugs42`> what does the physical symbol do for you? 
[20:56] <ravenshad> once a relationship grows to a comitted one (collared, or otherwise verbally comitted) should the consent then be one of "blanket" nature? 
[20:56] <Tatsumi> when i accept a collar, i am giving blanket consent that only ends when the relationship ends 
[20:56] <KimiD> i would say so raven..for me 
[20:56] <sulis-tax> i think so raven 
[20:56] <ravenshad> it's difficult to explain Bugs..it's an emotional completeness for me.. 
[20:57] <_mizu_> if it goes that far raven, then the two people know eachother very well, and should know the limit's by heart 
[20:57] <Bugs42`> the key there raven is "should" and I see that as between the individuals as to whether it should or not 
[20:57] <Soulhuntr> In a collared relationship, it is a constant symbol of blanket consent .. even in a non collared relationship, it is a good way to symbolize what is going on... for her and for me. 
[20:57] <ravenshad> tangible evidence of comittment 
[20:57] <^noelle> except for hard limits.. soft limits it should be a matter of trust to push at the edges maybe ..but by then i think it just becomes a blanket .. new things would need to be discussed first though 
[20:57] <ravenshad> ahhh but mizu, people are famous for rushing into things..specially those things which touch them deeply.. 
[20:58] <Bugs42`> thank you raven and Soulhuntr, that makes sense 
[20:58] <ravenshad> Well said Soul!! Thanks.. :)) 
[20:58] <AlstrBlck> I know that all too well, raven.... 
[20:59] <ravenshad> are there any situations you can think of where an assumption of consent should not exist? 
[20:59] <ravenshad> me too AB..me too.. 
[20:59] <SirWolf> first time meeting in r/l 
[20:59] <Tatsumi> people in general rush into things. that's why many marraiges are ending so soon after they begin and so many collars are being taken off so lightly. it's a shame, i think 
[20:59] <Bugs42`> yes, raven, I would not assume consent to share my sub 
[21:00] <Soulhuntr> ::nods:: It definately is, I agree. 
[21:00] <ravenshad> that's a good situation to not assume consent.. :) 
[21:00] <ravenshad> I agree Tats.. 
[21:00] <Bugs42`> that would have to be specific 
[21:00] <^noelle> yes raven, like bringing in other people 
[21:00] <Tatsumi> i don't think there is any situation like that for me 
[21:01] <sulis-tax> well it is possible to assume consent on bringing a third in but it normally works out better dynamics wise if everyone likes eachother 
[21:01] <ravenshad> I remember a while back, speaking with a woman who says she is sub...she said she would withdraw consent from a situation at any time and that she has that right..is doing this, abusing/manipulating what consent really is? 
[21:02] <Tatsumi> not to me Raven 
[21:02] <cyn{Wolf}> personally, i wouldn't want to have to give consent after i had offered my submission and been collared.  My trust bond is blanket consent ..if He/She breaks that trust..then that would be a problem 
[21:02] <ravenshad> can you think of a situation where withdrawing consent would be wrong? 
[21:02] <Bugs42`> I would say yes, raven 
[21:02] <Soulhuntr> Not to me.... but people get to define it for themselves. 
[21:02] <sulis-tax> well truly except for your word you can always choose to leave any situation you just ahve to deal with the consiquences 
[21:03] <Soulhuntr> It is becomming clear to me that you cannot micro manage consent. You either have it, and use it, or you don;t have it. 
[21:03] <ravenshad> the situation in which she withdrew consent was she was to be punished for doing something wrong, and she didn't want to accept it..so withdrew consent..(yes a collared relationship) 
[21:03] <_mizu_> yes raven, if she is doing it because she want to, not because she is in trouble 
[21:03] <Bugs42`> I would have released her, no discussion 
[21:03] <AlstrBlck> Then she wasn't a true sub, raven. 
[21:04] <^noelle> ravenshad..i think it would be wrong if you did it just because you were scared of something..instead of just letting them know that you're frightened 
[21:04] <KimiD> we can't say that..you'd have to know what it was and if it was "honorable" or not 
[21:04] <Tatsumi> then she doesn't belong in a relationship Raven 
[21:04] <ravenshad> ahhh..but according to some who preach SSC, she was within her rights as an empowered submissive to withdraw consent at any time.. 
[21:04] <Soulhuntr> I wont judge their relationship - it wouldnt have happened here. 
[21:04] <Tatsumi> MHO of course:) 
[21:05] * ravenshad said it was manipulation and topping from the bottom.. 
[21:05] <_mizu_> but was the punishment any harsher than the normal level of play? 
[21:05] <Bugs42`> that is one of the problems with preachers 
[21:05] <AlstrBlck> If she did something wrong, and expected that she could withdrawl consent for the punishment due, then she would begin winthdrawing consent for EVERYTHING. 
[21:05] <cyn{Wolf}> can't withdraw consent as manipulation then..or there is no trust 
[21:05] <Tatsumi> it's not honorable to duck your obligations and refuse to take responsibiltity for your acxtions 
[21:06] <ntalia> she is within her rights to withdraw consent. but if it had been my master and i had withdrawn consent, it could have destroyed our relationship 
[21:06] <_mizu_> if not, then she was escaping because she wanted the power 
[21:06] <Bugs42`> I agree and that is something I believe is"special" about bdsm people... the honor required 
[21:06] <^noelle> she is within her rights to do it, but it sounds like she did it for the wrong reasons..but don't really know the whole story 
[21:06] * ravenshad scrolls back 
[21:06] <AlstrBlck> I agree, raven. 
[21:07] <ravenshad> no mizu..it wasn't..nor was it beyond her limits..she just felt that to be punished for what she did was "unfair" 
[21:07] <AlstrBlck> But let's ask.  If she withdrew her consent, but got punished anyway, what are the consequences that could of happened? 
[21:07] <ntalia> i never thought about withdrawing consent. my master had earned my trust. to withdraw consent would be to say i didn't trust him. 
[21:07] <ravenshad> I agree talia.. 
[21:08] <Tatsumi> when did D/s become fair? lol 
[21:08] <_mizu_> true talia 
[21:08] <^noelle> if she withdrew consent and was punished anyway ...if it were me, i don't think i could trust that person easily or at all again 
[21:08] <ravenshad> that's what I said Tatsumi!! hehehehehe 
[21:08] <ntalia> i think there's got to be a difference between a master and slave and someone who is simply partnering for a night at a party or in a less committed relationship 
[21:08] <Bugs42`> the T word, I would rather hear trust than SSC anyday 
[21:08] <ravenshad> no..she wasn't punished anyway..when the dom moved to saying the collar was his consent..she cried "abuse" and he released her.. 
[21:08] <_mizu_> good point Sir 
[21:08] <Soulhuntr> <- tried, still tries, to make it fair.... but I am working on fixing that :) 
[21:09] <ravenshad> Does anyone know when SSC came into being anyway? 
[21:09] * ravenshad can't find an answer to that.. 
[21:09] <Bugs42`> I see fair as determined by the relationship 
[21:09] <AlstrBlck> I thought you were going to say that, raven....  She sounded spoilt to me, too, now. 
[21:10] <Bugs42`> I first heard it a year or so ago on the Internet 
[21:10] <Tatsumi> i'm glad he released her. 
[21:10] <AlstrBlck> SSC sounds like a "politically correct" term to me... 
[21:10] <ravenshad> I'm on a newsgroup AB..and situations like the one I mention are common there..and the sub's are patted on the back for being so "strong" and refusing to accept punishment they felt was unfair.. 
[21:10] <Tatsumi> she doesn't sound mature enough to handle a D/s relationship 
[21:10] <AlstrBlck> which newsgroup, raven? msg it to me. 
[21:11] <ravenshad> I'm not sure if it's a maturity isuue..or an issue that is related to this pushing of sub rights... 
[21:11] <Bugs42`> If their relationships on that other newsgroup work that way, great... I couldn't do it 
[21:11] <Tatsumi> sub's rights? no such thing in my house 
[21:11] <_mizu_> never knew anything about it until i got on-line here 
[21:11] <ntalia> she sounds to me like she's interested in D/s play, but isn't ready for a D/s relationship. 
[21:11] <ravenshad> I agree talia.. 
[21:11] <Tatsumi> priveldges, yes. rights? never 
[21:12] * _mizu_ giggles 
[21:12] * ^noelle has to agree to ntalia 
[21:12] <Bugs42`> sounds like we are putting this in an US and THEM way... are we being elitist or cliquish? 
[21:13] <ravenshad> probably.. :) 
[21:13] <Bugs42`> they are different, does that make them wrong? 
[21:13] <Tatsumi> i'm not trying to - just saying what's true for this house IMO 
[21:13] <AlstrBlck> Everyone of us growing up, we knew the rule...  We did something wrong, we got punished.  it wasn't abuse, getting spanked for breaking a vase, it was a learning lesson. 
[21:13] <ntalia> in a relationship there is trust. a master wouldn't want to really hurt what belonged to him. 
[21:13] <ravenshad> I'm just trying to discuss the way SSC has affected people.. 
[21:13] <AlstrBlck> Sounds to me like she didn't want her lesson... 
[21:14] <ravenshad> No Bugs it doesn't make them wrong...but does it give them the right to be the ones setting the so called "role models" for the rest of us? 
[21:14] <_mizu_> it dose not bother me raven, i never worry about them 
[21:15] <Bugs42`> No it doesn't raven, but that is back to being open minded, what works for me may not for others... and that is why I do not like SSC, it tries, as I said, to set a standard 
[21:15] <ravenshad> Actually AB..I know very few people who want to be punished.. LOL 
[21:15] <sulis-tax> It kinda makes me chuckle at how far things have changed over the past 100 years Men like Soul ans Talent would be normal 100 years ago D/s relationships dynamics where the norm (the rule of thumb was in effect as the prevailing form of SSC) 
[21:16] <ravenshad> So would it be safe to say that SSC has in many ways hindered BDSM more than it has helped? 
[21:16] <Bugs42`> I think so, nice thought and concept, but that is it 
[21:16] <^noelle> ravenshad, it's gotten me to learn a lot more about safe sex pratices ..like gloves and phone calls 
[21:16] <AlstrBlck> Actually, raven, I know a few people that  CRAVE being punished.  The one with the stun gun, for instance.  she went back to his place three times after that incident, wanting more and more. 
[21:18] <_mizu_> not hindered it, just not allowed us to come together like other groups 
[21:19] <ravenshad> From my understanding, the advent of SSC has split BDSM into two groups.."Old School" and "new school"...to me, that has indeed hindered BDSM in general... 
[21:19] <Soulhuntr> <- looks whistfully at his cattle prod. 
[21:19] <Tatsumi> no comment again 
[21:20] <Bugs42`> agreed, I know several that would never even consider a safe word 
[21:20] <ravenshad> Those people who find that for them safewords are not something they want to use..are being faced with ostracism and ridicule... 
[21:20] <Bugs42`> and what the Master says is law 
[21:20] <^noelle> ravenshad, the split ocured before between Old Guard and "New Guard" in the leather community by opening up the doors and teaching new people so to speak 
[21:20] <ravenshad> damn..lost my train of thought..<sigh> 
[21:21] <Bugs42`> yes, for many if there is not a safeword, they see the sub as a masochist and it not being sane 
[21:21] <^noelle> i can't remember the author, but the book is called Ties that Bind..it explains it a lot better than i just tried to 
[21:21] <ravenshad> I understand that noelle..but I think SSC has widened that split by being used as a weapon against anyone who is different than those who push it 
[21:21] <sulis-tax> i have expierenced it and would not care to expierence it again thank you 
[21:22] <_mizu_> true raven, it has be used to make people unconfortable 
[21:22] <sulis-tax> i think it made it eaiser for us to judge eachother 
[21:23] <ravenshad> From my understanding, many people find it so much easier to learn about BDSM if they find people who feel or have felt the same way they have... 
[21:23] <_mizu_> i know i feel that way at times because of how i was trained 
[21:23] <^noelle> i don't think it's a set of rules that are followed though but just kind of guidelines 
[21:23] <_mizu_> yes it is raven 
[21:23] <ravenshad> if SSC is enforced as much as it is now, finding that "bond" (for lack of a better word) with someone else..will be more difficult for anyone that is different than who they are.. 
[21:23] <ravenshad> to explain.. 
[21:24] <ravenshad> Myself..when I first began playing with BDSM..I never considered a safe word..I didn't want one.. 
[21:24] <sulis-tax> i have to agree with you on that raven i have to thank kimi for showing me around to my first sites 
[21:24] <ravenshad> but when I started learning the terminology and speaking with others in the lifestyle..I was told I *HAD* to have a safeword or I wasn't practicing BDSM..I was consenting to be abused.. 
[21:25] <_mizu_> i was "trained" by a group, it was very disciplend and combat oriented, all bound together by honor 
[21:25] <ravenshad> I began using them, and advocating their use..even though it didn't sit well with me.. 
[21:26] <sulis-tax> it was wonderful to know that i was not the only one who was confused and beeing able to see other peoples view and expierces made me feel better 
[21:26] <^noelle> ...consenting to the possiblity of abuse ravenshad... i have one, but i haven't had to use it once...just said what was going on and i think maybe a lot more people need to try that too 
[21:26] <Bugs42`> Do you still advocate safewords raven? 
[21:26] <ravenshad> not completely no Bugs.. 
[21:27] <ravenshad> I prefer not to have a safeword...but I can see where they can be helpful for others who do want them.. 
[21:27] <Bugs42`> so it is back to preference and individuals? 
[21:27] <ravenshad> It wasn't until I ran into a few people on a mailing list that I heard others speak about not having safewords and their reasons... 
[21:27] <ravenshad> isn't it always back t that Bugs?? <giggle> 
[21:27] <ravenshad> t=to 
[21:28] <Bugs42`> yes, it is... the same with what is sane and when consent is given.... 
[21:28] <ravenshad> Someone once said that common sense is really all that is needed to live this lifestyle..but that SSC came about because people lack common sense..any opinion on that? 
[21:29] <Tatsumi> people who lack common sense are not going to be saved by SSC 
[21:29] <ravenshad> my point was, because of the pushing of SSC, those who are not as "safe" as others..are not finding the support they need and instead are finding ridicule ... 
[21:29] <^noelle> other than it's pretty much true ravneshad? *G* 
[21:29] <_mizu_> that is true 
[21:29] * ravenshad giggles..agreed Tat, noelle and mizu.. :) 
[21:29] <Bugs42`> in everything, some people simply do not use common sense... no matter what is there for them, even SSC 
[21:30] <ravenshad> OK..so would it be safe to say then that not only must a person have trust in their partner, but also have trust in their own instincts and abilities to make good choices? 
[21:31] <_mizu_> yes raven 
[21:31] <Bugs42`> yes, it would be safe to say that 
[21:32] <ravenshad> What are some general guidelines or things that a person should think about or do before becoming involved in the lifestyle? if anything 
[21:32] <Bugs42`> everything comes back to trust, if you do not trust the person, do not play 
[21:32] <^noelle> so to be SSC and to want to meet a couple in another city, how would you go about finding out if they are SSC and such before meeting them? 
[21:33] <Bugs42`> and do a lot of talking and listening 
[21:33] <^noelle> (one is a "pro" Domme and her husband is a Dom as well, just not for a living) 
[21:33] <Tatsumi> THINK about it 
[21:33] <_mizu_> read and learn, or find a person willing to bring you in slowly and at your own pace 
[21:33] <ravenshad> I'd take that one step further Tats..think about it, learn from others, think some more and compare what you hear with what you feel/think inside yourself..then decide what is right for you and what is not.. 
[21:33] * ^noelle agrees with mizu 
[21:34] <ntalia> well common sense says that reasonable consent is somewhere between "Hi. have we met? Will you tie me up?" and requiring your partner to fill out a 14 page  play list and provide a health certificate. 
[21:34] <Bugs42`> ^noelle, to be honest, I don't think you can know before you meet, just make sure NO play on first meeting and then trust yourself and think 
[21:35] <Cherrie> cant trust everything Cyber either~They can type what you want to hear and be the opposite. 
[21:36] <Bugs42`> I do not trust computers, letters or telephone as much as I do face to face meetings and my own gut reactions 
[21:36] <Tatsumi> same here Bugs 
[21:37] <Talent> well nothing is 100%safe in life period 
[21:37] * _mizu_ giggles 
[21:37] <ravenshad> ain't that the truth Talent!..<giggle> 
[21:37] <^noelle> gut reactions haven't been off from phone really, but you're right about needing to meet face to face first Bugs 
[21:37] <Tatsumi> true Talent 
[21:37] <ntalia> i trust computers for computer relationships. some people make me want to take things beyond puters. 
[21:38] <Talent> using comman sense is important when interacting with anybody now a days 
[21:39] <Bugs42`> if you go beyond computers, use common sense 
[21:39] <Bugs42`> trust yourself and if you can't do that take a friend that you can 
[21:40] <ravenshad> In your opinion, is SSC a way of softening BDSM for those who just want to "play at it?? 
[21:41] <Bugs42`> yes, I do, a way of pacifying people 
[21:42] <ntalia> i think SSC was meant as advice and it's become a catch phrase. 
[21:42] <ravenshad> Thanks for participating everyone.. :) 
[21:42] <ravenshad> I agree with that talia.. 
[21:43] <Bugs42`> does that mean it is time to wrap things up? 
[21:43] <ravenshad> unless you have something to add..yes..my mind just isn't functioning tonight..
Back To Logs 1999 Email

LnR Toy Store

Site Map

To hear of changes to the web site, or events taking place in the chat room, enter your e-mail address and click on the button below to join the LnRannounce mailing list. This is an announcement list only and is of very low volume. Or if you prefer, e-mail Raven (ravenshad@knology.net ) to be added to the list, be sure to include your e-mail address and the name of the list within the e-mail.

Subscribe to LnRannounce